December 16, 2013

Back to the Classics Challenge 2014


It's here, yay! I was afraid that nobody will take it over from Sarah, but brave Karen has decided to host it! I'm so glad, as it's one of my favourite challenges EVAR :) This year, classics chould be published before 1964. Aaaand here are the categories:

Required:
Optional Categories:
  • An American Classic: A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
  • A Classic Mystery, Suspense or Thriller 
  • A Historical Fiction Classic: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  • A Classic That's Been Adapted Into a Movie or TV SeriesThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
  • Extra Fun Category: Write a Review of the Movie or TV Series adapted from Optional Category #4. This can be any adaptation -- does not have to be adapted before 1964. For example, if you chosePride and Prejudice, you could review any adaptation -- 1940, 1980, 1995, 2005, etc. However, this must be a separate blog posting -- no fair just mentioning it in the book review!
Aren't they the best? Of course I'll do all of them, including the optional ones! And I'll link my reviews here.


4 comments:

  1. Can you merge required categories? For instance, there's a book I would like to read that is both a translation and written by a woman. Would it be considered cheating to choose one that fits two categories?

    Also, I'm not clear what "new to you" means. Does that mean I've never heard of the author or that I've never read anything by the author?

    I probably need to ask these questions on the OP. I'm off to ask over there. I may sign up for this challenge because it doesn't conflict too much with what I had already planned on reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as I understand it, there needs to be a separate book for each category. As for "new to you", I'll treat it as "have never read", because "classic" implies a rather well-known author.

      This challenge suits so well my attempts to read more classics, and I've rather enjoyed it this year. So I think you will not regret if you join too! :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, "new to you" means an author you've never read before -- it's to encourage people to try new authors. And I'm sorry about the problem with Mr. Linky, I think it's fixed now. Do you want me to go ahead and add you to the list, or would you prefer to do it yourself? I'm so glad you've joined, I look forward to reading your posts!

      Delete
    3. I won't be able to participate. I had hoped I could using books I already own because I'm trying to only read books from my personal collection. Unfortunately, I don't have enough classics on hand to be able to fulfill the required topics. I have a lot of books but I love reading classics so those get read sooner rather than later and after going through my library (of over 1000 books!) I only had a few that would fit any of the categories and since one can't be read to cover more than one requirement, I'll have to stick with my personal reading challenge and not try to do more, especially if the more would cause me to distract myself from completing the challenge I've already set for myself.

      Delete

Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...