December 10, 2013

Russian Literature 2014


Are you already tired of reading only sign-up posts here? Well, I'm sorry, but I can't do anything with it, as wonderful challenges keep coming my way! :) Russian Literature Challenge is hosted by o on her new blog Behold the stars, and there are levels for everybody from a complete novice to an expert in Russian Lit! I'm a seasoned Russian Lit reader, as I went to school in Russia, and unlike many of my schoolmates I actually read all the required stuff. But of course, though extensive, the course didn't cover everything, and I feel I should go back to some of the works that were overlooked. Being well acquainted with the topic, it would be a shame to sign up for less than Level Four, so I pledge to read at least 12 Russian classics next year.

I'm also planning to participate with making lists (you like lists, right? :)). This year I've done a list of Classic Russian Children's Literature and added quite a few of classic Russian Sci-Fi books to my Sci-Fi challenge list. In January, I'm going to write a list of Russian war literature, and I hope you'll like it! :) Stay tuned!

Books read:
  1. The Shore by Yuri Bondarev 
  2. Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
  3. The Train (Sputniki) by Vera Panova
  4. The Luzhin Defense by Vladimir Nabokov
  5. Lectures on Russian Literature by Vladimir Nabokov
  6. The Gift by Vladimir Nabokov
  7. Hard to Be a God by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
  8. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
  9.  
  10.  
  11.  
  12.  

10 comments:

  1. Oo, impressive. I will never manage 12! But here is a question for you--I was thinking I would maybe read Zamyatin's We in January as part of the vintage sci-fi event. I think you've read it, so what did you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to tell you the truth, I wasn't very impressed. It's very alike 1984, and I liked 1984 much more, although We was the first to be written and the patent for the ideas should go to it :) However, I know a lot of people who list it among their favourites, so maybe I'm not the best of judges. I think you should try it and see for yourself :)

      Delete
    2. I will, but it's good to hear an opinion! I have it right here at my desk, found it at work today. :)

      Delete
    3. It's a great work if you find such things there :) I'm looking forward to your opinion of it! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! 12?! I'll be interested to see which ones you choose.

    So glad to have found your blog, Ekaterina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, cleopatra! I've been following your blog for some time already! :)

      Delete
  3. Haha no way, I've also marked this one as one of the challenges for 2014. Do you already have a list of what you intend to read or are you just gonna pick as you go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um.. I have a list of projects to finish by the end of the semester, which is approaching really fast, so all the other lists have to wait :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, I will be very impressed if you read 12 books! This challenge is very tempting since I have a number of Russian classics on my list, but I would be taking things a wee bit slower.

    I read Zamyatin's We a few years ago and agree it was very similar to 1984, but I still thought it was a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowzas, 12! Go you! :) Thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...