September 3, 2013

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (Review)

Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
First published: 2011
Add it: Goodreads, The Book Depository
Rating: ★★★★☆

I wasn't expecting much of this book, because it's not what I usually read. It's YA, paranormal, and pictures creepy children. Not really my cup of tea. But I have learned to trust the taste of guys in Coursera Fantasy and Sci Fi book club, and it was chosen for reading this March. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with this novel, and quite enjoyed reading it, at least in the beginning.

The main innovative idea of the book is to use vintage photography as a part of the narrative. I think everybody have seen at least some of those strange pre-photoshop photos showing headless people and other creepy stuff. Well, the author is exploring what would the models look like, is the photos were not modified. In the beginning the photos even fit smoothly in the narrative, and the first third of the book is rather amazing. Then it suddenly turns into some weird mix of Harry Potter and X-Men, the photos become less beautiful and fitting, and the novel drags a bit. It finishes well, however, with the promise of some time loop jumping in the next book, which I'm not sure I'll read though.

In my book:
A surprisingly well-written work of its type, but I would cut short some of the middle part and make some of the last part less YA. But the beginning and the idea is great!

12 comments:

  1. It's definitely not the type of book that I would gravitate to, but I must admit that the premise is somewhat intriguing. I imagine it suits well to the season of autumn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is rather creepy, and having a decent rain outside enhances the experience :)

      Delete
  2. The pictures captured me while I was waiting at an airport last year, and I finished the entire book on a long flight. It is not the sort of thing I read either, but I am anxiously waiting for the sequel. I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pictures is what caught my attention too. Who doesn't like weird vintage photographs? :)

      Delete
  3. The same here! I don't read YA but i ended up liking this strange book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because it is not so full of YA cliches? Although the main character has some characteristic teenage anxiety.

      Delete
  4. I think this one may be on my TBR list somewhere...or maybe I just keep seeing it on blogs! Definitely looks weird and interesting...seems like a good fit for RIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad I started my first RIP with this book. Put me in the mood for the event :)

      Delete
  5. I've had this one on my TBR list for some time. I think I first heard about it when Carl reviewed it on Stainless Steel Droppings. Like you, it's not a book I would naturally be drawn to, but I have heard such good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Carl's review yet. Need to check it out! Sometimes it's good to get out of your comfort zone and discover that there is some good stuff outside! :) It was a nice experience for me.

      Delete
  6. I've only ever read good positive reviews for this book. I really must read it and don't really know why I've not done so!
    Good review.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! Well, it's impossible to read all the books that seem to be great and loved by many people. But we can do a good job trying! :)

      Delete

Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...