November 1, 2013

Let's Read Plays Wrap Up


A year long Let's Read Plays challenge is at an end, and although I can't say I've read everything I had planned to, it was a success for me anyway :)

Here is what my year-long plan looked like:
  • Nov '12 - Shakespeare's Tragedy: Macbeth by William Shakespeare
  • Dec '12 - Shakespeare's Comedy: Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
  • Jan '13 - freebie: A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
  • Feb '13 - Shakespeare's History: Henry V by William Shakespeare
  • Mar '13 - Greek: Oedipus the King by Sophocles
  • Apr '13 - Shakespeare's Comedy: A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
  • May '13 - Shakespeare's Tragedy: Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
  • Jun '13 - Oscar Wilde: An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde
  • Jul '13 - Other author: The Seagull by Anton Chekhov
  • Aug '13 - Shakespeare's Comedy: As You Like It by William Shakespeare
  • Sep '13 - freebie: The Three Sisters by Anton Chekhov
  • Oct '13 - Shakespeare's Tragedy: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

So, as you see, I've managed to read 10 out of 12 plays. I've missed May and June because of ridiculously huge work and study load, and I knew that if I make myself catch up, the pressure will make me drop it altogether. Besides, those two plays were re-reads anyway.

My favourite was Macbeth. Witches, prophesies, ghosts, menacing atmosphere and AMAZING strong characters (Lady Macbeth, I'm looking at you!) - what else do you need in a play? :) The close second place is shared by A Streetcar Named Desire, The Seagull and Julius Caesar. I didn't really enjoy Shakespeare's comedies a lot, and the only one I can recommend is A Midsummer Night's Dream, which is rather nice in comparison with the others. Sophocles also didn't impress me at all. Chekhov is an all-time favourite of mine, and I will definitely be rereading all his plays someday.

It was a very well-organized event, which worked very well for me, as I read some amazing books, which otherwise I might have put off for a looooong time. Thanks a lot for organizing it, Fanda! I'll be looking forward to any of your future events, as you are a great host! :)



6 comments:

  1. Awesome work! I know I've been relatively quiet. Still healing. I'll be back soon. Promise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I was starting to worry! No posts for about 10 days - so unlike you! Let your finger be back to norm soon!

      Delete
  2. Very impressive! I'll try to find a play-reading even such as this for the next year, heaven knows I want to read plays, but am very much discouraged to do it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it's a pity you missed this one, it was a great encouragement! I also don't just read plays on my own, but having an event for this was different :) Good luck in finding something like this for the next year!

      Delete
  3. That's great Ekaterina! Without your overload study/work, I'm sure you would have completed the 12 plays. About Shakespeare, I prefer the tragedy too, and Julius Caesar is my most favorite.

    Thanks for participating in this challenge, I'm glad you've enjoyed it. :)

    Oh, by the way, the 2014 challenge would be up on Monday... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that was the intention - to read all 12 :) But studying abroad in a foreign language is really demanding, and it was just impossible to keep up :( A pity I haven't read them all, but I had a lot of fun anyway! :)

      Thanks for hosting it!

      Delete

Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...