April 30, 2013

Language Freak Summer Challenge: Warm-Up, Participants and First Books


Hi, everybody!

I know I wrote that the first monthly post for Language Freak Summer Challenge (BTW, the sign-up is still open HERE) will be in the end of May, but I got so excited that I already have 5 participants, and some of them have already started reading for the challenge, that I decided to write this post to welcome everybody to the challenge and draw a starting line! So...

Our wonderful participants:
  1. Jean @ Howling Frog Books - Danish, Russian and maybe German
  2. Monika @ A Lovely Bookshelf on the Wall - Italian
  3. amanda @ Simpler Pastimes - Spanish and Italian
  4. Amy@ book musings - German
  5. n@ncy - French
  6. Me - Spanish, Czech and German

Our first review:
  1. n@ncy has read and reviewed Rien ne s’oppose à la nuit by Delphine de Vigan in French
Go check it out!


As for me, I am nearly finished with Harry Potter y la cámara secreta in Spanish, which is a great start, I think. I'll also try to write a short review in Spanish for it.

Besides, I've found a Czech school literature program, and I'm now in the process of deciding what to pick up as my Czech reading for the challenge :)

How is your progress? Have you chosen your books? Have you started reading them? Do you enjoy it? Are you proud of yourself? I want to know everything! :)


8 comments:

  1. ....picked a book? I'm just trying to survive till the end of school (3 weeks for the kids, 4 for work!).

    I took a look at the cute Alisa book you sent me and I don't think I can read the whole thing, but I figured out some of it. I need to pick out a Danish book from my shelf; maybe that will be my job for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also not living but surviving until the end of the semester... But June is soon!
      Do you want me to find you something easier? Although I'm not sure it'll be that cute :)

      Delete
    2. I'm going to give it a good shot, but I doubt that I can finish it, so something easier might be a good idea. :)

      I did pick a Danish book! I thought I had a couple more but they seem to have disappeared. I found an Agatha Christie mystery, which is not what I was hoping for but will at least be quite readable. "Det caribiske mysterium," or "The Caribbean Mystery."

      Delete
  2. Two more weeks of school for us, too, then we will be traveling for the entire month of June. I'm working on a Harry Potter in German, Der Stein Der Weisen. Progress is slow but steady; I usually read it while waiting for my two youngest at their YMCA phys.ed. classes. Three more chapters to go, and I really would like to finish it before we leave, and take something else in German with me. I wonder if I'm up to actually writing the review in German... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good progress! Well, I suggest you at least give it a try :) It's a bit scary to begin writing something, but then after a couple of sentences you get used to it :) I'm planning to do another monthly round-up post with all the reviews at the end of May, so you may be in time for this if you are already finishing! :)

      Delete
    2. Okay, I'll try! The tricky thing will be finishing the reading in time to write something--I'm still so slow.

      Delete
  3. I'm feeling behind already! I need to get started before I run out of summer! I know I'll be attempting Pinocchio again, but the Spanish title will probably be a spur-of-the moment decision. (I have a number on my shelf to choose from.) I'm kind of craving a Spanish read, so maybe I'll get started sooner than I expect...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finished my book!! http://howlingfrog.blogspot.com/2013/05/det-caribiske-mysterium.html

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...